Sometimes we want to get outside but we don’t have a ton of extra time. So we skip it. But we don’t need to have hours and hours of free time or a bunch of extra energy in order to slow down and enjoy nature.
In fact, we can get a little creative and enjoy simple activities with our kids in less than 15 minutes.
Here are a few ideas to help you get started:
- Find shapes in the clouds.
- Eat your meal or a snack outside instead of inside.
- Kick a ball or throw a Frisbee.
- Lay on the grass with your eyes closed and breathe deeply to relax.
- Draw with sidewalk chalk.
- Jump rope.
- Read a picture book or a chapter from a longer book in fun voices.
- Run through the water spray of a hose.
- Blow bubbles.
- Catch lightening bugs in your yard and put them in a jar.
- Admire the stars.
- Listen to the nature sounds around you.
- Ride bikes, skateboard, or walk around the block.
- Find nature items (sticks, leaves, feathers, acorns, etc.) that you can put in a clear jar inside for “decoration.”
- Eat the nectar from a honeysuckle. (Go here if you need instructions for finding and eating honeysuckle.)
What do you love to do outside when you only have a few minutes?